Providing the most exceptional experiences possible, centered around the best and most unique anadromous fisheries in the world.
Fish the Swing is a fly fishing guide service owned and operated by Jeff Hickman, specializing in two-handed rod fly fishing for steelhead in northern Oregon’s best rivers and now British Columbia too.
In our 40+ years of combined experience fishing these rivers we have gained a vast knowledge of the fish that inhabit them and how to catch them on the swing, the best way to do it! Using a jet boat, drift boat or raft to access the best water, all fishing is done while wading. Fish The Swing has the unique ability to use both your existing skills and teach you new skills to give you the best chance at catching fish while giving you the best experience possible on the water. With our laid back style of teaching and no nonsense approach to guiding and fishing, you are certain to learn a ton in a day spent on the water with us. We feel that you will agree, if its your first day with us or your 100th, it will be a blast. So come on out and Fish The Swing with us.
We are a young, fun, professional and energetic company. We have a deep commitment to customer service and our staff is the best in the business. The entire crew has a sense of ownership of Fish The Swing, that is apparent while you are here with us. We ensure that as a guest, you'll feel like an old friend coming for a visit, not just another customer. We pride ourselves as green minded and we take the conservation of our natural resources very seriously. We are all here because this place is incredible. We love sharing our appreciation, excitement and sense of awe with you.
We have a strong attention to detail that is noticeable throughout our operations. We serve the best food possible and we use the best equipment possible. State of the art boats, full selection of loaner spey rod setups, custom flies, tents, cots, BBQ's and camp stoves. We aim to make the best impression from your arrival and work to maintain it throughout your trip.
- Passions: wild anadromous fish, the environment, good food and good company.
- History: Jeff taught himself to fly fish and tie flies when he was 10. Growing up in a lodge on Mt Hood that he helped his mom manage, he saved up his housekeeping wages to buy his first Spey rod at 12. Hitchhiking to the river before and after school, he was doomed to a life of fishing addiction. The strong addiction lead to fly shop employment, guiding in Oregon and Alaska and even management at a bonefishing lodge in the Bahamas. Jeff started Fish The Swing in '11 to show his commitment to "swing only" and now owns and operates three well respected and sought after fishing/guiding programs in Oregon as well as Kimsquit Bay Lodge on the Dean River in British Columbia.
Passions: The mountains, yoga, hiking, snowboarding, being outside and near rivers and oceans.
- History: Kathryn grew up in Edmonds, WA on Puget Sound. The coastal northwest childhood engrained her with a sense of adventure and travel wonder lust. After college in Ellensburg, she relocated to Hood River, Oregon for a career at DaKine. This is where she met Jeff. On a boat trip into the Kitlope Heritage Conservancy Park, Jeff proposed. After getting married they decided to join forces and run the business together, two weeks paid vacation a year just wasn't enough, why not just do vacation for work?
Passions: Rivers and Oceans, and the wild fish that live in them. Road trips, hiking and good food.
- History: Barrett grew up on a river in Connecticut and taught himself to fly fish using a spinning rod standing in the driveway. Opening day of trout season was considered a holiday at his family home. This passion for fishing, the water and being outside has never left Barrett and has shaped his life. From a degree in Fisheries Science at Virginia Tech to guiding in western Alaska, the Florida Keys, and on the Kamchatka Peninsula in Russia, he is never far from the water. Barrett found his way to Oregon to pursue his biggest passion: wild steelhead and all the incredible rivers Oregon has to explore and to protect.
- Passions: Fly fishing, steelhead, snowboarding, surfing, skateboarding, the outdoors.
- History: Born on a small island in Puget Sound and raised on a 120’ sailing ship, his family eventually moved to the 9,000 foot level of Mammoth lakes, California in the Sierra Nevada Mountains. He has been a professional snowboarder for the past nine years. His winters are spent traveling the world in search of the deepest snow and the best terrain. Summer and Fall is for scouring the Lower Deschutes River swinging flies for steelhead. He has found no better place to catch steelhead, and there is no better way to do it than by skating a dry fly across one of the many famous runs the river has to offer.
Passions: Wild fish and wild places. Good friends, company, and adventures down all roads less traveled.
History: Fishing to Michael isn’t a passion; it’s an obsession. Michael grew up outside of Portland, Oregon where his sense of wonder for the outdoors flourished from day one. Hiking, biking and exploring new rivers and places has always been a top priority. As a 3rd generation fly fishing guide, it was impossible for Michael not to develop a keen interest in fly fishing and stewardship. Michael’s lifelong passion for fish and the outdoors led to a Bachelor of Science from Oregon State University, with a Degree in Fisheries and Wildlife Management. Michael has spent the last 12 Summer and Fall seasons guiding in British Columbia and Alaska, honing the skills that bring you closer to the fish we admire most; wild steelhead.
- Passions: Cooking, spending time outdoors, traveling, music, family and gardening.
- History: Finishing culinary training in 1998, Mark began his career working in various restaurants in Eugene, Bend, Phoenix and Las Vegas. Mark has been pushing the envelope with delicious meals for Fish The Swing's guests seasonally since 2011. In early 2016 Mark won 1st place in the March of Dimes Signature Chefs Competition against some of Eugene's top culinary chefs. With this award he realized his true passion lies in great southern barbecue and he founded "Against The Grain" BBQ Company showcasing delicious smoked meats that are sourced locally from Oregon farms. During the summer and fall season you can find his mobile barbecue trailer throughout the state serving up his award winning brisket, ribs, and pork butts. When he isn't cooking, he is most likely out enjoying nature with his wife and three dogs.
Passions: Traveling, family, cooking, gardening, playing outside.
- History: Lauren grew up in Portland, Oregon and being a dual US/Canadian citizen spent her summers in the Chilcotins in BC. She grew up learning about the wonders of being outside through skiing, fly fishing, horseback riding, climbing and camping. She graduated with a degree in Environmental Science at the University of Montana where she also discovered her love for cooking and eating delicious, healthy food. This passion continued after she graduated and started traveling around the world. She has enjoyed traveling and backpacking through remote mountains from the Northern Andes to the Southern Alps. Her travels have taken her through Australia, New Zealand, Fiji, South and Central America, Mexico and Scandinavia. Along her adventures she’s loved meeting people from around the world and being exposed to different cooking styles and cuisines. Ultimately she’s up for adventure and loves cooking comfort food and having good conversations with fun people!